On May 6, 2013, at 6:33 AM, Jack Howarth wrote:

> On Sun, May 05, 2013 at 04:59:42PM -0700, David R. Morrison wrote:
>> Jack,
>>
>> I get errors building the latest versions of gcc44 and gcc45 on 10.6, i386 .
>>  I have Xcode 3.2.6 but if that's too old, the packages should tell me so.
>> I reproduce the error msg from gcc44 below; the one from gcc45 was similar.
>> Based on the error msg, I guessed that maybe I needed to install
>> texinfo-legacy but that didn't help.
>>
>>  -- Dave
>
> Dave,
>   This is due to the switch to texinfo 5.0 in both trees which is more strict
> about texi formatting.
> FYI, I submitted the fixes for the gcc 4.6.4, 4.7.3 and 4.8.0 releases
> upstream but there will be
> no upstream fixes for earlier gcc's. The gcc 4.6.4 release is the last for
> the gcc 4.6.x series and
> current the gcc 4.7.x series is the oldest maintained release upstream. I
> won't have time to look
> at this for awhile but you could try applying the the changes from
> to the earlier gcc4x releases to see if this is sufficient to fix those with
> the texinfo 5.0.
> Frankly, I don't think we should be encouraging users to stay on such ancient
> gcc4x releases.
>                Jack

Jack,

I simply did "fink update-all" on a system which hadn't been updated in quite a
while, and ran into this problem.

If there are no packages currently in the fink database which use gcc44 or
gcc45 to build, then we can remove the old gcc's.  If there *are* any such
packages, then we either need to update them to use gcc46 (or later), or else
repair the gcc44/gcc45 packages so that they build with the current fink
configuration.

  -- Dave