> On Mar 2, 2015, at 10:16 AM, Martin Costabel <costa...@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> On 2/03/15 18:33, Alexander Hansen wrote:
> []
>> Moving this over to -devel since my comments are going to exceed the scope
>> of -beginners.
>>
>> Individual packages set up their own X11 build setups.  Openmotif4
>> specifically asks for /usr/X11R6 in its ConfigureParams.  I have a hard time
>> with the idea that X11/Xquartz is “broken” when it’s just missing
>> convenience symlinks, but  I’m not exactly sure what the best way to deal
>> with the situation is.
>
> The XQuartz installer installs these symlinks in its postinst script. Apple's
> softwareupdate removes them. To me this looks like breakage. We don't know
> whether softwareupdate removes other parts of the XQuartz installation as
> well. XQuartz always recommended a reinstallation after every system upgrade.
>
> From the xquartz wiki <http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki>
>
>> OS X Software/Security Updates and XQuartz (Leopard Only)
>>
>> OS X Software Updates have included some of the work done by this
>> project, but for various reasons, Apple cannot ship the latest and
>> greatest version offered by this site. Since our package clobbers
>> Apple's X11.app, their SU will clobber ours. Because of this, you may
>> experience conflicts after doing a Software Update from Apple. It is
>> suggested that you install the latest XQuartz release after
>> installing an update to OS X Leopard.
>
> The reference to Leopard means that this wiki is getting old (as wikis tend
> to do), but this is the latest advice from the xquartz site.
>
> --
> Martin

I’ve not had Software Update remove the X11 symlinks on 10.8 or any later OS
for anything other than operating system updates.  Based on admittedly sketchy
reports from users on OS updates ( “X11 works, but I can’t build anything”) it
seems like OS updates may not actually touch /opt/X11.  I’ve got virtual
machines set up for 10.8 and later, so I can verify what actually happens on OS
update.

—Alex