On Wednesday, February 6, 2002, at 09:16 AM, Erik Price wrote:

> Hmm... I just installed the 'passwd' package for the first time the other
> day.  And you know what's strange?  The 'dummy' users aren't showing up
> in my Login window (at startup) after all!  I didn't make any changes to
> the dummy users' UIDs, either, they are the default that are specified by
> the 'passwd' package (250-255 I think).
>
> Did Apple make a change in 10.1.2 that hides UID < 300, or did the
> package 'passwd' itself somehow compensate for this, or is something
> wrong?  These users definitely exist on my system --

I have noticed something similar on one machine, and I think the login
window is just hiding users that have never been logged in. It did not
show some regular users (UID>500) either, but after a certain user had
logged in for the first time, he appeared in the list.
You will probably find that the 'passwd' users still show up in the System
prefs panel, but at least that's less annoying (just don't get tempted to
remove them there...).

On Wednesday, February 6, 2002, at 12:13 PM, Thomas Peters II wrote:

> I tried reducing the UID to <100 a long time ago, but it didn't have any
> affect in hiding them in Users Preferences, so I put them back to the
> original UIDs.  Did anyone actually succeed in hiding them, or was it
> just pure speculation?

Actually I was pretty sure they were _not_ in my Prefs, but they are there
now! Either I am just confused or maybe they only keep out of there if
they have never been installed with a UID>99, or maybe this also changed
with 10.1.2...

                                                                Derek