On Wednesday, February 6, 2002, at 03:16  PM, Finlay Dobbie wrote:

> They shouldn't show up in the login window...

That was my mistake, sorry.

> Users which can't be used to login (i.e. have a password of "*") don't
> show up in the login window, and I think my experimentation a while
> back revealed that uids < 500 don't show up, but I'm not sure about
> that one.

That's what I was wondering.  Okay, that clarifies quite a bit, if it's
true (I don't plan on doing anything that will test the veracity of this
either, it's mostly curiosity).

> System Preferences shouldn't be showing uid < 500, since it doesn't
> CREATE users with uid < 500. I thought I filed a bug report on this to
> Apple, guess not. I'll do that at some point :-)

You would think that would be how it works... maybe someday they'll fix
this erratic behavior?

Erik

----

Erik Price