On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 04:05:48PM -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> My question is this:  why does gnuplot depend on tetex?  The
> simple answer, apparently, is "so that fink can build and install
> the documentation, which comes as LaTeX source."
>
> I have a transient (i.e., dialup) 56K connection to the internet,
> and a non-tetex implementation of LaTeX, the combination of which
> makes that dependency very inconvenient.

Is this also a dependency for the binary (.deb) version of gnuplot?
If so I would say this is a bug.  Debian packages, at least, have the
concept of 'build-depends', which are only used for building the
software, as opposed to 'depends', which are needed for using the
software.  This also allows library packages to be split into the
binary libraries and the header files, which while sometimes annoying
(oh, i needed that -dev package too, doh.)  is good from the
space-saving perspective.

Perhaps Fink could benefit from a similar option.  I don't know
anything about the inner workings of Fink, so if it already has this
kind of option, my apologies.

--
=Nicholas Riley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>
        Pablo Research Group, Department of Computer Science and