In the particular case of wxgtk and wxpython, I suggest:

1. for freetype [truetype font rendering], use the default (1) choice
"freetype".  The hinting version, aside from having intellectual
property issues, doesn't currently define a needed entry point
(FT_Render_Glyph) and so doesn't "provide" freetype in a way that will
build wxgtk.  (It seems to be 1 patch behind, so maybe it's just
lagging.)

2. for the X window environment, if you've never run X before, use the
fink-prepared environment (xfree86-base and xfree86-rootless).  Also you
will need a window manager (such as windowmaker), although it's not a
dependency of wxgtk in particular.  Check the fink docs about running
X11 on Darwin; they're very good.

     dan