On Monday, March 25, 2002, at 08:39 PM, Jeff Whitaker wrote:

> All extension modules need to be rebuilt with each new minor revision of
> python.  When you rebuild, they will be put into the correct directory for
> the version of python you have installed.  This is what Guido recommends,
> mainly because you can't assume the bytecode will be compatible from one
> version to the next.
>
> We probably should make these packages depend on a specific version of
> python though, for the sake of the binary distribution.

Yep, that worked. Didn't remember I had those packages already around that
long. gnome-python still claims to install libraries in
/sw/lib/python2.1/site-packages though, but it doesn't.

>> Then, I found that env would fail to execute "#!/usr/bin/env python"
>> scripts with "env: python : No such file or directory".
>> Of course, /sw/bin is in my path, but how do I make that known to env?
>
> Works for me.  Are you sure /sw/bin is in your path (in the environment
> that you're trying to execute the python script)?

Hmm, in fact I forgot I could execute some of the setup.py scripts in the
scipy build tree just fine. Seems to have been a formatting problem, those
were files I had downloaded as DOS-text. Converting the line returns and
replacing some space characters in the first line solved it, apparently
env did not like those (well, it has my sympathy!).

Thanks,
                                                        Derek