The original Changelog file is /sw/fink/Changelog, and for some reason you
aren't able to create .new.Changelog .

What do your permissions and ownership look like for /sw/fink and
/sw/fink/Changelog?  For comparison mine are:

drwxr-xr-x  13 hansen   admin         398 Feb 21 10:54 fink
-rw-r--r--   1 hansen   admin        1163 Jan 15 17:10 ChangeLog

--
Alexander K. Hansen
Associate Research Scientist, Columbia University