(Cut down on CC list; otherwise we'll start a a duplicate list; and Jeff
Hester's address isn't working for me anyway)

Finlay Dobbie wrote:

> Actually, they're merging in upstream GCC quite frequently, or at least
> were, and GCC 3.1 is set to go final RSN (tomorrow according to
> http://gcc.gnu.org/develop.html, but apparently they're not going to
> make that and are slipping the release date by about 2 weeks). OTOH, it
> will continue moving along at quite a rapid pace, and I expect that it
> won't be usable until about 3.1.1 or later (a few months down the line,
> in other words). Since Apple seems to be set on shipping gcc3.1 in the
> next major OS release, it'll be interesting to see the quality of the
> version that we receive.

My interpretation of the few cryptic remarks I saw is the following (I
may be wrong, of course):

Apple's forthcoming release will be based on the "nervous weasel" branch
of their cvs tree, not on the trunk. In the trunk, they are trying to
keep up with GNU, so there will eventually be an Apple gcc-3.1 based on
FSF's released gcc-3.1. The branch, however, was forked sometime in
March and is (or calls itself) "based on gcc version 3.1 20020105
(experimental)". That's why I suspect the "experimental" will still be
there for quite a while.

--
Martin