On 3 May 2002, tom keyes wrote:

> Fink is going crazy on me. On fink-selfupdate I'm getting "unpacking the
> tarball fink-09.11.tar.gz .....failed...." Fink update-all is giving
> many warnings of "Possible unterminated here-document"

Is it me, or are *a lot* of people getting bugs like this lately? Problems
with tar, paroblems with gzip, null file sizes, unterminated here-docs...
maybe it's all isolated glitches but it looks like some kind of weird file
corruption that a lot of people are catching aspects of.

> The reason I started updating is I replaced xtools with xfree86 and
> Grace gave the msg abt the motif runtime library
                 ^^^ ^^^

What'sa matter, cat got your vowels? ;)

> being 'older than build', so following the advice on this list i was
> going to update everything and reinstall grace. Also there have been
> other warnings about not being able to unpack tarballs. TIA for any
> suggestions....Tom

I'm sorry that I don't have any, but I've got a feeling that a lot of
people hare seeing different versions of the same problem that you are.
As far as I've noticed, no clear explanation or remedy has emerged yet,
but I would be very interested in finding out what's going on with your
system and others that are seeing what I suspect is the same thing.

In the meantime, can you re-install tar or fileutils? If that doesn't
help, would it help to reinstall fink itself? Have you done a recent CVS
update to make sure that your catalog is current & intact?

</grasping>

--
Chris Devers                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Apache / mod_perl / http://homepage.mac.com/chdevers/resume/

"More war soon. You know how it is."    -- mnftiu.cc