On Friday, May 3, 2002, at 09:19 , Grant Barrett wrote:
> I see one indirect mention of this in the archives, but no
> response. I use CVS and the unstable trees, so I stay a right on
> the bleeding edge. The last time Nethack was updated, it stopped
> using the X graphical interface. Now, far be it from me to upset
> decades of traditon for those who respect the text-based
> interface, but I, err, prefer the X graphics.
>
> My question: Is there some kind of switch or something I could
> use when launching Nethack to make it use graphics? I checked
> the man pages and read-me files and did a Google search but came
> up with nothing useful. Or should I be compiling the app
> differently, rather than using the Fink defaults?
I'm running fink's nethack 3.4.0 and non-fink XFree86 4.2.0, and
it uses what I'd call an "X text" interface by default. IOW, it
opens up its own X window, but treats that window like a glass
tty, similar to what xterm does. There are no graphical tiles,
just ASCII characters.
Perhaps you have a "windowtype" setting in your NETHACKOPTIONS or
.nethackrc? This option:
windowtype:tty
tells nethack to run inside whatever xterm you start it from, and
this option (which should be the default):
windowtype:x11
tells nethack to open its own main window, and various other
windows for things like the inventory list.
There's a native Mac OS X version that has a completely graphical
interface. The ASCII interface is easier on *my* eyes; YMMV.
Now if only I could figure out which spell to cast to trick
nethack into opening its own window and *not* forcing me to use
the mouse for, e.g., praying and forcing locks open....
HTH,
Dan
--
This email impairs your ability to operate heavy machinery.
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
_______________________________________________________________
Have big pipes? SourceForge.net is looking for download mirrors. We supply
the hardware. You get the recognition. Email Us: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
_______________________________________________
Fink-users mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fink-users