I have been using Fink for quite a while (since before Debian packaging) and
have installed it from scratch successfully twice before (on Mac OS X 10.0 and
10.1). I subscribed to this list and have been following this thread in
particular because my third attempt is failing for similar reasons.

Following the instructions on a machine which has never had Fink installed
before, and doing a source rather than binary install, I have had the following
two problems:

1. debianutils as specified in the .info file no longer exists. The version in
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debianutils/ is now 1.16, so the
download during the bootstrap process fails. After editing the .info file,

2. I encounter multiple instances of the "mirror problem", i.e., tar.gz files of
about 8K bytes which are actually HTML directing me to use a mirror, as
reflected in this thread.

My next step is going to be downloading the files that I know are bad during the
bootstrap process into /sw/src and continue, since Fink seems to handle
interrupted installations fairly cleanly.

All in all, it appears to me that source installation from scratch is broken, or
perhaps the instructions need to be updated somehow. I know enough to keep
plugging along, but perhaps someone who knows more about the internal workings
should try a clean install.

Many thanks to the various developers - my use of Mac OS X has been greatly
improved by the various versions of Fink and all the GNU and Open Source
software made available through it.

-- John Montague