On Thursday, August 29, 2002, at 09:39 AM, Craig W. Wright wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 10:05, Gilger.John wrote:
>> I have a fresh install of Fink and XonX (rootless) on my G4 PowerBook
>> Titanium.
>>
>> I would like your opinion/advice regarding which window manager is
>> "best" and why.
>>
>> John
>

> Window maker is highly configurable (most window managers are), looks

> GNOME/sawfish is ok too, but I've had problems with some of my mouse
> clicks not reaching the window on top. Instead the clicks were being
> transported to lower windows, but only on OS-X. I use this combination
> at work under Red Hat Linux.
>
> Fvwm2 is alright too. I used to use it a few years ago, but in my
>
> I remember Enlightenment being real neat, but when I met sawfish my
> relationship with it ended.
>
> Lots of people really like KDE, and for good reason. It's very
> complete,
> TWM comes with virtually every system. It's simple, ugly, and small (in
> I hope this little overview helps. If you have time you may want to

snip, snip,. snip....

You didn't mention the most mac-like window manager, Oroborosx. I have
to agree with the previous poster that oroborosx is the most usable. It
is more than simply a window manager - it actually attempts to
integrate X Windows more closely with OSX than XDarwin does. For
example you can minimize windows into the dock, along with a number of
other useful commands in the menubar such as "zoom".

http://oroborosx.sf.net/

You don't even have to configure dot files to use it. You just double
click the Oroborosx icon rather than the XDarwin icon.

-Ben