> I just ran 'fink selfupdate-cvs', 'fink update-all' (which says
> there is nothing to update i.e . everything is up to date) then
> 'fink describe fink' and I get...
>
> pkg fink  version ###
> pkg fink  version 0.10.0-1
>
> Why am I getting numbers different from yours?

Because he is running a CVS version of fink (the program, not the
distribution =) -- this is common if you've done the Jaguar update.

> similarly for abiword, I get version 1.0.2-1
>
> Why am I getting a (seemingly) older version?

Most likely because the update is only available in the Jaguar
(dists/10.2) tree.

Fink will continue to support 10.1, but for the most part only in a
maintenance mode.  Most developers/packagers have already moved on to
Jaguar and will be doing their new development there.

> Perhaps if I can get the 1.0.2-2 version, it might work for me!

You can try getting it from cvs by checking out the 10.2 tree and
copying it to your /sw/fink/dists/local tree, but there are likely a lot
of dependencies that will need to be updated, and there's no guarantees
it will still work on 10.1.