This is a fairly well-established problem:  there are some circular
dependencies that fink isn't "smart" enough to resolve.

Your instinct was correct, but you need to do it in a nonstandard way:

sudo dpkg -r --force-depends gnome-vfs

will remove the package by force, ignoring the multiple dependencies.
Then install gnome-mime-data, which will in turn install the newer
version of gnome-vfs.

On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 18:44, Enrique Terrazas wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Fink update-all is failing with the following (see below).  I've tried to
> remove gnome-vfs, but there are multiple dependencies so the removal fails.
> Any suggestion?  TIA.  I'm using OSX 10.2.1.
>
> The following 49 packages will be installed or updated:
>  bonobo-conf bonobo-conf-shlibs context control-center control-center-dev
>  control-center-shlibs gnome-applets gnome-games gnome-games-shlibs
>  gnome-print gnome-print-dev gnome-print-shlibs gnome-utils gnome-vfs
>  gnome-vfs-dev gnome-vfs-shlibs gnomemm gnomemm-shlibs gtkhtml gtkhtml-dev
>  gtkhtml-shlibs gtkmm gtkmm-shlibs guile-dev hyperref libghttp libgtop
>  libgtop-shlibs libmpeg libmpeg-shlibs libpoll libpoll-shlibs libsigc++
>  libsigc++-shlibs libwww libwww-bin libwww-shlibs libxml2 libxml2-bin
>  libxml2-shlibs nmap pdftex popt popt-shlibs screen tcltk-dev tetex-macosx
>  units xfontpath
> The following 3 additional packages will be installed:
>  gnome-mime-data libgtop-dev pkgconfig
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
> dpkg -i
> /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/gnome/gnome-mime-data_2.0
> .0-1_darwin-powerpc.deb
> dpkg: considering removing gnome-vfs in favour of gnome-mime-data ...
> dpkg: no, cannot remove gnome-vfs (--auto-deconfigure will help):
>  control-center-shlibs depends on gnome-vfs
>   gnome-vfs is to be removed.
>   gnome-vfs-ssl provides gnome-vfs but is not installed but configs remain.
> dpkg: regarding .../gnome-mime-data_2.0.0-1_darwin-powerpc.deb containing
> gnome-mime-data:
>  gnome-mime-data conflicts with gnome-vfs (<< 1.0.5)
>   gnome-vfs (version 1.0.3-5) is installed.
> dpkg: error processing
> /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/gnome/gnome-mime-data_2.0
> .0-1_darwin-powerpc.deb (--install):
>  conflicting packages - not installing gnome-mime-data
>  /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/gnome/gnome-mime-data_2.
> 0.0-1_darwin-powerpc.deb
> ### execution of dpkg failed, exit code 1
> Failed: Can't call method "get_fullname" without a package or object
> reference at /sw/lib/perl5/Fink/PkgVersion.pm line 1646, <STDIN> line 1.
>
> --
>
> Enrique Terrazas, MD, MS
> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> <http://pangloss.ucsfmedicalcenter.org/~terrazas/>

Alexander K. Hansen
Associate Research Scientist, Columbia University
visiting MIT Plasma Science and Fusion Center
Levitated Dipole Experiment
175 Albany Street, NW17-219
Cambridge, MA  02139-4213