On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 01:35:32AM -0500, Nicholas Riley wrote:
> [p8:5008] ~%strings - /usr/lib/libssl/libssl.dylib |grep "0.9.6"

Doh, /usr/lib/libssl.dylib is the right place, /usr/lib/libssl is just
a directory I created to stop things from linking against it (it
didn't help).

The base of the problem appears to be that the Makefile in the apps/
directory of the OpenSSL distribution assumes that:

cc ... -L.. -lssl -L.. -lcrypto ...

will link statically against libssl.a and libcrypto.a in the parent
directory, whereas OS X's linker instead dynamically links against
/usr/lib/lib{ssl,crypto}.dylib.  The same problem happened with my own
build.  I was able to fix it by editing apps/Makefile.ssl as follows:

[...]
DLIBCRYPTO=../libcrypto.a
DLIBSSL=../libssl.a
LIBCRYPTO=$(DLIBCRYPTO)
LIBSSL=$(DLIBSSL)
[...]

which forces ld to use the static versions.  I'm not sure whether this
is a mistaken assumption on the part of the OpenSSL build system or a
bug in OS X's linker.

--
=Nicholas Riley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>
        Pablo Research Group, Department of Computer Science and