Dear Ken,

You were right on target! I had forgotten to source /sw/bin/init.csh after
updating to 10.2 (fink still sort of worked because I had manually added
/sw/bin to my path). As to the v-string thing, it's still there, but doesn't seem
to interfere with anything. The lines it refers to are always the ones like

use v5.6.0; # perl 5.6.0 or newer required

I am using perl 5.8, not the perl that comes with 10.2, though the problem
persists when I go back to the system's perl. Go figure!

Thanks a lot,

Artemio