On Saturday, November 16, 2002, at 06:44 AM, Artemio Gonzalez-Lopez wrote:

I am using perl 5.8, not the perl that comes with 10.2, though the problem
persists when I go back to the system's perl. Go figure!
When switching to Perl 5.8, did you follow the procedure outlined in this message:

http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg02447.html

---- quote ----
The release notes for perl 5.8.0 indicate: "Perl 5.8 is not binary compatible with any earlier Perl release, XS MODULES WILL HAVE TO BE RECOMPILED!"

Mac OS X users that have fink installed may experience the
following error when executing certain perl operations....<snip>

</snip>....RESOLUTION:

The following three commands will correct the above issue by removing
the current Storable and replacing it with a recompiled version. These
commands must be executed as the superuser. After these commands are
executed the aforementioned issue will be resolved.

mv /sw/lib/perl5/darwin/Storable.pm /tmp
mv /sw/lib/perl5/darwin/auto/Storable /tmp
fink rebuild storable-pm

It IS first necessary to do the mv's, before the rebuild, since fink is
a perl script that explicitly adds /sw/lib/perl5 to @INC, and exhibits
the behavior mentioned above.

You will need to execute the above commands for every XS module that
is contained within /sw/lib/perl5.

---- quote ----

Please read the entire message. Worked for me.
OS X 10.1.5
Perl 5.8
Fink package manager version: 0.10.0
Fink distribution version: 0.4.1.cvs