Success!

I reinstalled the July dev tools, recompiled and installed xfree86 just fine. Life is good.

I looked at the custom install, and the SDK package was already pre-selected, as were all of them. Went ahead and did the Custom install just to be on the safe side. Is the problem that the Default install just leaves it out for some reason, even though it is included in the Custom install by default?

Thanks to all who helped!

Jerry