OK, thanks to several of you for hints and help (not necessarily
directed at me) I now have Apple's X11 and XDarwin full screen happily
coexisting on my iBook.  I have probably done something slightly
different to most, I followed the info on the fink web pages to
remove xfree-86-base, shlibs, rootless, then installed Apple's X11
then system-xfree86 without problems.

Then I copied back XDarwin.app from a non-fink install (my fink install
of it borked last month and I was too sick of installing things by
then to try to work out why so I cheated...) and the following three files
from the /usr/X11R6/bin that I had saved from before removing all the
fink stuff:

XDarwin        XDarwinQuartz  XDarwinStartup

which appear to be enough to get XDarwin to run.  Anyone know if
using the GUI installer package of XDarwin.app gives you this?
If I'd had it lying around I'd have tested but I'm on a dialup link
today (with per minute charges) so I didn't.  If it does, it would be
a VERY simple install sequence to get both (if you don't need threaded).

I then followed Alexander Hansen's advice and set up XDarwin on
display 1 by running

defaults write org.xfree86.XDarwin Display 1

in a terminal window.  Very cool, many thanks.

Now, what I really want to do is to put some tests in my .xinitrc
to figure out which one is starting up and run things accordingly.
This seems to be hard, I can't find something clear in the process table
unless I assume I always start one first then the other.
I borrowed from the Matlab scripts to get:

<open an xterm and whatever else you want for both>
if [ -n "`ps xc | grep X11`" ]; then
        #Assume we are starting Apple's X11
        exec quartz-wm
        exit
else
<XDarwin stuff>
fi

but that obviously only works if I start XDarwin first.

Anyone know how to do this so it works whichever I start first?
What I'm aiming for is to put that "defaults" command into the
.xinitrc so whichever starts first sets the other one's display to
be 1 instead of 0.  You can't do it for the one that is running
'cos that command only works for things that aren't running yet.
I'd like to set up that command to run in a reliable way
(test if the app is already running or not, etc..)
so I could set up someone else not unix savvy with it and have
them be able to start it all up again from dock icons after rebooting.

-- Viv