Max Horn sez:
} At 9:34 Uhr -0500 20.01.2003, Gregory Seidman wrote:
} >I have a build system that depends on some of the features in GNU make
} >3.80, but MacOS X 10.1.5 (which I am still running) and Fink (even
} >unstable) still have only 3.79.1. I'd like to make a .deb from the latest
} >make source so that I can manage it with Fink, but I don't know how to go
} >about it. Any thoughts?
}
} You could contact the package maintainer (i.e. me) and ask for an
} update. I have so far not updated to make 3.8 because there was no
} apparent need for it, and it would require me to careful port over
} all the mods made to our make 3.79.1. These mods are the same as the
} Apple make has, and are required for various reasons.

It takes all kinds of mods? Really? I downloaded the source and did a
compile and install, and it seems to be working fine from straight GNU
source. (I installed it over make 3.79.1, expecting that the same file
names would be overwritten and, therefore, an apt-get remove make would
get rid of it.)

} Since with you there is now a reason to update to 3.80, I will
} consider doing it. Out of curiosity, can you tell me which feature
} you need in 3.80 that is not in 3.79.1 ?

The primary feature is the MAKEFILE_LIST variable. It lets me have a
nice hierarchical build system with a single instance of make, all
without being dependent on particular directory names.

} Cheers,
} Max
--Greg