Hi Matthew,

I think this might have something to do with your perl installation (a
nightmare i've been going through the last few days). If you are using
5.8.0 you may want to do the following:
In your environment.plist [~/.MacOSX/environment.plist] put the
following "LC_ALL C" and "$lc_all". You should also tell fink to update
your storable:

mv /sw/lib/perl5/darwin/Storable.pm /tmp
mv /sw/lib/perl5/darwin/auto/Storable /tmp
fink rebuild storable-pm

Give all of that a whirl and try, try again.

Cheers,
Gary

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 10:07:05 -0800, Matthew wrote:
> I know it's not recommended, but I can't install the latest fink source
> package under /usr/local. I've even cleared /usr/local entirely, in
> order to ensure there are no conflicts arising from within the folder.
> I can compile all the base packages if I chose /sw, but not if I chose
> /usr/local. Here is the error I get, after it successfully downloads
> the base packages and compiles and configures from gettext to bzip, but
> fails on libiconv:

> gcc -O -I. -I. -I../include -I./../include -I../lib
> -I/usr/local/include ./iconv.c -o .libs/iconv -L/usr/local/lib
> -L../lib/.libs -liconv
> ./iconv.c: In function `main':
> ./iconv.c:195: `LC_CTYPE' undeclared (first use in this function)
> ./iconv.c:195: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> ./iconv.c:195: for each function it appears in.)
> make[1]: *** [iconv] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> ### execution of make failed, exit code 2
> compiling libiconv-1.7-5 failed
>
> Any idea what's wrong and why it works if I chose /sw? I can post more
> of the terminal output if it will help.
>
> Thanks,
> M. Herberg
I know it's not recommended, but I can't install the latest fink source
package under /usr/local. I've even cleared /usr/local entirely, in
order to ensure there are no conflicts arising from within the folder.
I can compile all the base packages if I chose /sw, but not if I chose
/usr/local. Here is the error I get, after it successfully downloads
the base packages and compiles and configures from gettext to bzip, but
fails on libiconv:

gcc -O -I. -I. -I../include -I./../include -I../lib
-I/usr/local/include ./iconv.c -o .libs/iconv  -L/usr/local/lib
-L../lib/.libs -liconv
./iconv.c: In function `main':
./iconv.c:195: `LC_CTYPE' undeclared (first use in this function)
./iconv.c:195: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
./iconv.c:195: for each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [iconv] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
### execution of make failed, exit code 2
compiling libiconv-1.7-5 failed

Any idea what's wrong and why it works if I chose /sw? I can post more
of the terminal output if it will help.

Thanks,
M. Herberg
"The difficulty now is that unexceptional adults believe the loss of youthful dreaming is itself "growing up," as though adulthood were the passive conclusion to a doomed activity and hope during adolescence."

The Uses of Disorder
Personal Identity and City Life
-- Richard Sennett

OO