I know it's not recommended, but I can't install the latest fink source package under /usr/local. I've even cleared /usr/local entirely, in order to ensure there are no conflicts arising from within the folder. I can compile all the base packages if I chose /sw, but not if I chose /usr/local. Here is the error I get, after it successfully downloads the base packages and compiles and configures from gettext to bzip, but fails on libiconv:

gcc -O -I. -I. -I../include -I./../include -I../lib -I/usr/local/include ./iconv.c -o .libs/iconv -L/usr/local/lib -L../lib/.libs -liconv
./iconv.c: In function `main':
./iconv.c:195: `LC_CTYPE' undeclared (first use in this function)
./iconv.c:195: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
./iconv.c:195: for each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [iconv] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
### execution of make failed, exit code 2
compiling libiconv-1.7-5 failed

Any idea what's wrong and why it works if I chose /sw? I can post more of the terminal output if it will help.

Thanks,
M. Herberg