This looks like two separate problems:

1)  The lack of a startup splash and icons is because there's an
incompatibility betwen libpng and libpng3.  This was brought out by one
of the developers on Sunday, but a solution hasn't been brought out, as
far as I know.

2)  The window position issue shouldn't be related to that.  Does every
window open at the top of the screen?

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 21:21, James Gibbs wrote:
> A couple of days ago I started having trouble with gnome. Specifically,
> I get a white rectangle where I used to get the startup picture and
> none of my panel icons draw. Also, windows draw at the topmost part of
> the screen where the menubar is, so I can't drag them.
>
> In .gnome-errors I get:
> libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.0.12
> libpng warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.2.5
> libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
> repeated several times with:
> gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
> /sw/share/pixmaps/gnome-ccbackground.png
> All fallbacks failed.
>
> I have unstable enabled and do cvs updates every day or so.
>
> [james-gibbs-ibook:~] jgibbs% fink list libpng
> Information about 2099 packages read in 4 seconds.
>
>   i   libpng           1.0.12-6     PNG image format handling library
>   i   libpng-shlibs    1.0.12-6     PNG image format handling library
>       libpng3          1.2.5-2      PNG image format handling library
>   i   libpng3-shlibs   1.2.5-2      PNG image format handling library
>
> Installing libpng3 doesn't help.
>
> James

Alexander K. Hansen
Associate Research Scientist, Columbia University
visiting MIT Plasma Science and Fusion Center
Levitated Dipole Experiment
175 Albany Street, NW17-219
Cambridge, MA  02139-4213