<<<1)  The lack of a startup splash and icons is because there's an
incompatibility betwen libpng and libpng3.  This was brought out by one
of the developers on Sunday, but a solution hasn't been brought out, as
far as I know.>>>

If this was "brought out" by one of the developers on Sunday then
whythehell didn't they pull the friggen thing from the update list. In
case you don't know, this is Tuesday!!!! That warning on the Fink site
about "unstable" is cute, but the libpng3 in question is in stable, in
case the developers didn't notice. I'm really not mad, but admit it, you
goofed big time.... This may require a total hard delete of Fing and a
complete reinstallation. BTW the graphics probs apply also to all
browsers... all of them. Galeon won't load the spinner etc. and Mozilla
won't start. I know it's the libpng3 update because that's the only one I
did. Now, When I uninstall Libpng3, the warning says "app was compiled
with png.h from libpng-1.2.5..... When I remove libpng-1.0.12 and
reinstall libpng3, the console warning says app compiled with 1.0.12. I
simply can't believe that the developers let this pass after having known
about the problem.

Chaos is freedom!