Mplayer does indeed depend on arts:

Package: mplayer
Version: 0.90rc2
Revision: 1
Depends: libdvdread-shlibs, libfame-shlibs, lame, ffmpeg, pth, x11,
gtk+-shlibs,
 glib-shlibs, libpng3-shlibs, aalib-shlibs (>= 1.4rc5-2), sdl-shlibs,
libogg-shl
ibs, libvorbis0-shlibs, mad-shlibs, lame-shlibs, libdnet-shlibs, lynx (>=
2.8.4-
2) | lynx-ssl (>= 2.8.4-2), libdv-shlibs, arts (>= 1.1.0-2), mplayer-font,
mplay
er-skin-default

One option would be to use Fink Commander, because you could then
highlight everything (except arts) in the kde section and uninstall it.
--
Alexander K. Hansen
Associate Research Scientist, Columbia University