Greg Howland wrote:
I've installed a package using Fink but would like
to upgrade it to a later version that has not been
uploaded to the CVS repository. I've downloaded
the tarball but I'm not sure about what to do from
here.
Upgrading a fink package to a later version means making a new package. In rare cases, it involves only a file name change and a trivial change in version and revision numbers. Most of the time, however, it means major porting work. This is the job of the package maintainer.

> Should I just copy it to /sw/src then run
'fink index' and 'fink update-all'?
This won't help if there is no package description for the new version in cvs.

Or should I copy it
to a separate folder and run './configure', './make',
'sudo ./make install'?
This would mean to compile the package outside of fink and to do the porting work yourself. This could be useful if you intend to help the package maintainer with upgrading to the new version. If you want to do this, you might want to contact the maintainer.

If so, is there anything I need
to know about removing or upgrading the package
in the future? BTW, the current package is
Evolution-1.0.7, and the upgraded package is
version 1.2.1.
In this case, a new version already exists in the package maintainer's "experimental" cvs tree. However, if you don't know how to get package descriptions from the experimental tree and what to do with them, then you should probably just wait until the new version shows up in the standard (unstable) cvs tree.

--
Martin