On Thursday, January 23, 2003, at 11:31  PM, Martin Costabel wrote:

Greg Howland wrote:
I've installed a package using Fink but would like
to upgrade it to a later version that has not been
uploaded to the CVS repository. I've downloaded
the tarball but I'm not sure about what to do from
here.
Upgrading a fink package to a later version means making a new package. In rare cases, it involves only a file name change and a trivial change in version and revision numbers. Most of the time, however, it means major porting work. This is the job of the package maintainer.

Eh? I would say most of my updates involve only a trivial change to the version numbers, or perhaps some minor fixes. Its rare that "major porting work" is required for a version bump. Of course, it all depends on the package. If you are talking about KDE, yeah, theres major work there. :)

-Ben