On Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 05:41 PM, Justin C. Walker wrote:

In fact, I'm even more puzzled. While tcptraceroute, compiled as above, gets to the point of sending TTL-limited packets, it seems to time-out on each one. Looking at the network with tcpdump, I see the ICMP packets returning as expected, but tcptraceroute doesn't seem to see them. Perhaps it's a 'libnet' problem.

Has anyone had success with either tcptraceroute or libnet-1.0.2a in Fink? I'm on Mac OS X, 10.2.6.

The old version (1.2-3) seems to be broken, too (ww/ libnet 1.1.0-3), since it gets lost even on tracing a machine on the same switch:

Warning: Could not determine appropriate device; resorting to pcap_lookupdev()
Selected device en0, address 128.192.19.18, port 58313 for outgoing packets
Tracing the path to homer (128.192.19.12) on TCP port 80 (http), 30 hops max
1 * * *
2 * * *

After purging libnet and updating to tcptraceroute 1.4-2, it fails just as Joel described.

Cheers,
                                                                Derek