On Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 02:33 PM, Justin C. Walker wrote:

On Saturday, May 24, 2003, at 10:46 PM, Joel L. Breazeale wrote:

Could anyone tell me how to correct the error below? An example follows:

    % sudo tcptraceroute -f 5 pages.ebay.com
    Password:
    ioctl(SIOCGIFADDR): Device not configured

I'm puzzled. It appears that the problem is that the code hasn't been fully debugged on systems that look a lot like BSD systems but can't be identified as such. If I compile this with HASSALEN defined, the command seems to work correctly. Otherwise, it gets this error. I have not figured out why the error, but from a quick check of the code, it seems that compiling with HASSALEN defined is the proper thing to do.

Someone who has a better grasp of Fink mechanisms will have to determine the proper fix (perhaps just including an appropriate 'defined()' at line 213).

In fact, I'm even more puzzled. While tcptraceroute, compiled as above, gets to the point of sending TTL-limited packets, it seems to time-out on each one. Looking at the network with tcpdump, I see the ICMP packets returning as expected, but tcptraceroute doesn't seem to see them. Perhaps it's a 'libnet' problem.

Has anyone had success with either tcptraceroute or libnet-1.0.2a in Fink? I'm on Mac OS X, 10.2.6.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics        |   If you're not confused,