On Saturday, Nov 15, 2003, at 06:38 US/Eastern, Martin Costabel wrote:

<snip>

  source /sw/bin/init.csh
  exec gnome-session

or

  source /sw/bin/init.csh
  metacity &
  exec gnome-session

The above were recommended lines to include in a .xinitrc file, in this case for a fink user having problems initiating a gnome session. I have the (same) source line in my .cshrc file, not in my .xinitrc file.

My questions:
1) Is it better to source the shell in one .*rc file rather than the other? Does fink have a preference? Does XDarwin?
2) Any suggestions for configuration options?

If the answer is, "It depends on your system and your configuration," then here's some information.

Fink:
[localhost:~] jamesd% fink --version
Package manager version: 0.16.2
Distribution version: 0.6.1.cvs

X:
i system-xfree86- 4.2-3 Placeholder: XFree86 4.2.x and Apple X11 b...
i system-xfree86- 1.0-1 (place-holder package for upgrading broken...
i xfree86 4.3.0-15 XFree86 distribution
i xfree86-shlibs 4.3.0-15 XFree86 distribution

XDarwin 4.3.0 installed via fink. I tried to force-remove the system-xfree* and other packages when I removed Apple's X11 beta 3, but fink told me I didn't have the packages installed. I'm sure I did something wrong, but once I installed the upgraded xfree packages, I didn't notice any conflicts, and haven't gotten around to attempting the force-remove again.

I'm using 10.2.8, and running a very generic fvwm2 - "very generic" because I haven't had the time to configure it since I downloaded it two or three days ago.

.cshrc:
source /sw/bin/init.csh

.xinitrc:
#!/bin/sh
# $Xorg: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:30 cpqbld Exp $

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

# merge in defaults and keymaps

if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $sysresources
fi

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if [ -f $userresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $userresources
fi

if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $usermodmap
fi

# start some nice programs

exec fvwm2 &
xchat &
exec xterm -geometry 80x40+0+0 -name login

Other than removing the xclock and the generic (unnamed) xterm, and executing xchat, I'm using the standard .xinitrc copied from /usr/X11R6/etc/xinit/.

Pointers to other resources that I can read without wasting your time are welcome. I've read and re-read the FAQs, googled around a bit, and browsed mailing list archives, but may have missed something.

Thanks, y'all -

James Dasher