Well you were right of course! I use PsynX for backing up my hard disk to a firewire external disk, and sure enough it has installed rsync-hfs in both /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin! Hopefully I had the genuine Apple version on an other machine. It is a 1/3 in size and now all is fine with selfupdate.
Thanks for the hint. I was really getting desesperate to understand what was going on, and I would never have guessed any software developper could be that slopy. Obviously it does not tell it is installing over the apple version!

Martin Costabel wrote:

Paul INDELICATO wrote:
[]

finkinfo/w3m-ssl-0.4.1-11.info
/bin/cp: finkinfo/w3m-ssl-0.4.1-11.info/rsrc: No such file or directory
fopen: No such file or directory
stat finkinfo/w3m-ssl-0.4.1-11.info : No such file or directory

[]

Could it be that rsync is the problem:
rsync  version 2.5.5  protocol version 26

It lives in /usr/local/bin and says:
rsync  version 2.5.5  protocol version 26
There is an other one in /usr/bin but it is exactly the same binary.

Is it really the same binary? It rather looks like it is rsync-hfs, AKA rsyncX. I wouldn't it put past the authors of that package that they didn't change the version information. In the older days they even replaced /usr/bin/rsync physically with their own incompatible binary. Or, horrible suspicion, maybe they still do?

On 10.2.8, I get from /usr/bin/rsync --version:

rsync version 2.5.2 protocol version 26

and on 10.3.1:

rsync version 2.5.6 protocol version 26

Just shoot those guys! (Lesson to be learned: Be very careful about what you install in /usr/local, and if a package wants to install anything in /usr/bin, avoid it like the plague).

--
Paul Indelicato,
Directeur de Recherche au CNRS

Phone:  +33-1 44 27 43 96