Screen capture [is] accessible via the "screencapture" command.
   For example, "screencapture output.pdf".

   Obviously that works perfectly well in shell scripts.

   As for portability, AFAIK x11 methods only work under x11 so
   those hardly qualify as portable either. ;)

Well that's a reasonable stopgap solution and I hadn't heard of
screencapture before.

But if import and xwd don't work, that's a problem that should be
resolved.  I think these commands are meant to be portable across
x11 implementations which is all I meant by portability.

I'm not at all sure why the commands are not working for me; maybe
someone would be willing to help me debug/troubleshoot the problem?