Dear Aaron:

I think Dan was trying to be helpful. It is very hard to infer other people's mental states from a pile of ascii text.

Having said that, this does seem to be a reoccurring problem. I just helped a colleague with this who is one of the most computer-literate people I know, and has written more code than I have English.

Anyway, I think there are at least 3 problems that occur with regularity:

1. The user doesn't realize that both Apple's X11 and Apple's X11SDK are separate installs and both need to be done. Apple doesn't make this any easier in that they hide the X11SDK as a non-default install in the Xcode CD. They no longer even have it as a separate download. Why they can't put it all into one package is beyond my comprehension, but they don't.

2. The user does install both of these, but the installer somehow skips some of the header files or other parts of X11.

3. Fink changes X11 even if it warns. Since I haven't had the problem myself, I can't verify if this is because of what the user does or what fink does by itself, but in a way it doesn't matter, because the net result is the same.

In any case, I think if fink doesn't detect the X11 headers, it warns and asks to install X11. Previously one manually installed something called system-xfree86 to tell fink that an Apple or other non-fink X11 existed. Also I have gotten the impression that fink gets stuck at this point, so even if you go back and (re)install the missing X11SDK, fink repeatedly asks to install X11.

My impression was that the old way of manually installing system-xfree86 was less problematic.

The one sure but drastic way to solve the problem is to delete /sw, /usr/X11R6, and /etc/X11 and reinstall both Apple X11 packages and then fink in that order.

In short, I think Aaron's problem with fink and X11 is quite common.

Maybe the most idiot-proof means of dealing with this is for fink to test for the presence of Apple's X11 first, perhaps by looking for the X11.app in /Applications/Utilities or the package receipt(s), and then if that is found look for the header files, and if those are missing, quit with a warning that the user must manually (re)install the X11SDK before continuing.

Bill