I wonder if, in general, 'python setup.py install --prefix=%i'
is the wrong idiom for the case where one wants to install in a
temp location and then copy to the actual runtime location later.

Looking at the output of 'python2.2 setup.py --help install', I see:
  --prefix            installation prefix
  --root              install everything relative to this alternate root
                      directory

I just tried 'python setup.py install --root=%d' and wound up with
files in %d%p, and the messages embedded in those .pyc contain the
string %p, not %d%p (where before with --prefix=%i, they contained
%i).

dan

--
Daniel Macks