On Jan 21, 2005, at 3:07 PM, Michal Young wrote:

On fink update-all I am currently getting ...

dpkg: regarding .../xfree86-shlibs_4.4.0-1_darwin-powerpc.deb containing xfree86-shlibs:
xfree86-base-shlibs conflicts with xfree86-base-threaded-shlibs
xfree86-shlibs provides xfree86-base-threaded-shlibs and is to be installed.
dpkg: error processing /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/ xfree86-shlibs_4.4.0-1_darwin-powerpc.deb (--install):
conflicting packages - not installing xfree86-shlibs
/sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/ xfree86_4.4.0-1_darwin-powerpc.deb
/sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/ xfree86-shlibs_4.4.0-1_darwin-powerpc.deb

This is a bit confusing because, as far as I can tell, I am trying to install only the non-threaded versions of Xfree86, and I don't have any of the threaded bits installed (at least, neither "fink list | egrep xfree86" nor "fink list | egrep threaded" shows any -threaded thing with an "i" indicator).

Is it right that xfree86-shlibs provides xfree86-base-threaded-shlibs, and yet xfree86-base-shlibs conflicts with xfree86-base-threaded-shlibs? Maybe (probably) I just don't understand how to read these dependency messages, but it seems odd that the non-threaded shlibs would be providing the threaded shlibs.

Any hints on tracking down where the actual conflict is here? I did read the FAQ and recent list archives, but didn't find this (at least not in a form I could recognize). Thanks.

--Michal

So you're saying that "fink list" doesn't show any installed xfree86 stuff. Try going to a deeper level:

dpkg -l xfree86*

See if you have any "partially installed" xfree86 bits.

--
Alexander Hansen
Fink Documentarian