Alexander->

I put all the answers to your questions on my web site since the transcript is about 1MB...

http://www.oz.net/~samh/transcript.html

TIA,
Sam

Below is the message I'm responding to->

On Aug 19, 2005, at 4:22 PM, Samuel Herschbein wrote:

Conclusion & question before details:

To avoid the __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart error, it looks like packages that depends on glib2 must be installed BEFORE glib2. Right?

Umm...no

That's a completely impossible situation. The way Fink handles runtime dependencies requires them all to be installed before a package is built--they aren't technically needed at that time, but that's how it works.

What you did is:

1) start without glib2 installed
2) tell Fink to install pango1-xft2
3) Fink installs glib2-dev and glib2 (amongst other dependencies)
4) Fink installs pango1-xft2

The 3 -> 4 transition is identical whether you do it yourself or Fink does it as part of a batch install.

* Is there a way to ensure that glib2 is the LAST thing installed?

No (see above)

Or,
* Is there a way to remove glib2 without removing packages that are dependent on it?

You can:

sudo dpkg --remove --force-depends glib2

On the other hand it's probably irrelevant because if you install something with a dependency on glib2* Fink will just reinstall it anyway.

What versions of pango1-xft2 and glib2 do you have now? One of your posts on another thread said you've now got glib2-2.8.0-122.

Here's the steps for my clean install of Fink onto a G4 Dual 1GHz MDD running 10.4.2 will all software updates as of today:
rm -R /sw
rm /Library/Receipts/Fink 0.8.0 Installer.pkg
# Install Fink 0.8.0 from .dmg
fink selfupdate # Choose an update method - rsync
fink selfupdate
pico /sw/etc/fink.conf # add unstable/main and unstable/crypto to Trees:
fink selfupdate
fink scanpackages # to avoid Failed to fetch file:/sw/fink/dists/ unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/Packages
fink selfupdate # now at latest 0.24.9-21
fink install pango1-xft2 # 1.10.0-1 installed OK, glib2 is 2.8.0-122
fink install gtk+2 # 2.6.8-1 - fails with __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart error

Can you provide a literal transcript of the error? With pango1- xft2 this occurred in /sw/sbin/update-pango-modules. Is it in the same place for gtk+2?

But then I found other packages with the __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart issue...

It would be nice to mention what those are, so that others with the same problem can benefit and so that we can look for a common thread as to what's causing this. Also important is whether this was seen in binary or source installs (your description sounds like the former).

The furthest a previous clean install & selfupdate like the above followed by a fink install bundle-gnome had these packages dependent on glib2:
atk1 atk1-shlibs
gtk+2 gtk+2-dev gtk+2-shlibs
libgsf-dev libgsf-shlibs
pango1-xft2 pango1-xft2-dev pango1-xft2-shlibs
wv2 wv2-shlibs

BTW: apt-cache showpkg glib2 clearly shows ALL the packages that are dependent on glib2. Thanks Martin!

I was totally wrong about the apt-get, clearly a fink install pango1-xft2 works as long as glib2 wasn't installed previously. I'll be sure to always do a clean install each time so there are no left-over confusing messes...

TIA,
Sam

Also:

1) Did you get rid of the symlinked /sw/lib/libjpeg.dylib from earlier ?

2) You mentioned earlier having set DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH -- what's that set to now (e.g. it is set to ':' by the current base- files package in unstable)? It may not be relevant, but it's something to look at.

I'm going to try a rebuild of gtk+2 on one of my boxes--it's not going to be done on a clean system, but I have the same versions of all of the dependencies (except that I'm using xorg).

--
Alexander Hansen
Fink Documenter