Hi Citizens:

Somehow I managed to get ghostscript-eps installed instead of
ghostscript, and its ability to catenate pdf files appears to be
broken, so I would like to replace it with ghostscript.

I'm using this function to catenate some pdb files:

joinpdf () {
         gs -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -
sOutputFile=merged.pdf    "$@"
}

When I do this on my intel G5 imac, which has ghostscript-esp, two
pages that have images imbedded that I created from Apple's Pages
program by printing to pdf come out blank.  The input pdf files are
fine.  There are no warning or error messages.

Using identical input, the same works on my G5 ppc,which has
ghostscript-8.54-3, although I get some warnings:

joinpdf   Science_supplementary.pdf figs_1s_2s.pdf Figure3S.pdf
    **** Warning:  File has an invalid xref entry:  17.  Rebuilding
xref table.

    **** This file had errors that were repaired or ignored.
    **** The file was produced by:
    **** >>>> Mac OS X 10.4.8 Quartz PDFContext <<<<
    **** Please notify the author of the software that produced this
    **** file that it does not conform to Adobe's published PDF
    **** specification.

The actual output however is fine, and the figures are present.

When I try to install ghostscript on my intel iMac, this happens:

While trying to install:
   ghostscript-8.54-3

The following inconsistencies found:
   ghostscript-esp conflicts with ghostscript, but ghostscript is
installed

Trying to resolve dependencies...
Could not resolve inconsistent dependencies!

Fink isn't sure how to install the above packages safely. You may be
able to fix things by running:

   fink scanpackages
   apt-get update
   apt-get install ghostscript=8.54-3

(the latter doesn't help).

I'm now completely stuck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Bill

PS:  Another weird thing is ghostscript-8.54-3 isn't even showing up
on my intel iMac (unstable activated, updated an hour ago) with fink
list:

fink list ghostscript
Information about 5932 packages read in 1 seconds.
      fc-ghostscript-fonts     20050601-1         Add ghostscript
fonts to fontconfig search
p   ghostscript                                 [virtual package]
i   ghostscript-esp          7.07.1-27          Enhanced GNU
Ghostscript with better CJK and printer support
i   ghostscript-fonts        8.11-3             Standard fonts for
Ghostscript
      ghostscript-nox          7.04-3             Interpreter for
PostScript and PDF

On my ppc:

fink list ghostscript
Information about 6782 packages read in 2 seconds.
      fc-ghostscript-fonts     20050601-1         Add ghostscript
fonts to fontconfig search
i   ghostscript              8.54-3             Interpreter for
PostScript and PDF