Thanks Nathan I'll give it a go!

On 1/27/07, Nathan Acks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Jan 27, 2007, at 7:37 AM, Doug Ransom wrote:
> Whether I am running emacs (Carbon emacs, not the one you run in a
> shell) and starting python modet, the system is running a cron job,
> or I start a shell whcih is not a login shell, how can I set up the
> system path to include /sw/bin so I always run the python in /sw/
> bin rather than the one the system comes with?

Getting things like cron that are called a system level to look in /
sw/bin for applications can be a little tricky. But at least for GUI
apps (carbon/cocoa/etc.) there's a neat trick --- the
environment.plist file:

     http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1067.html

Two things to note here: 1) The Login window can sometimes be a
little weird about reading this file, so you may need to reboot after
writing it rather than just logging out and the logging back in. 2)
Not *every* application respects the variables set this way. Which
ones do is a bit of a crap-shoot (I've never found a pattern), but
most should work okay.

Really, though, the only solution I've found that works 100% of the
time is to call things in /sw/bin using their full path.

~Nathan

--
For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see,
Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be...

                   --- Alfred Lord Tennyson (Locksley Hall, 1842)