When a shell starts from something like crontab, or when a mac app starts
(like emacs), or for an app like apache which may invoke a python cgi
script, how can I set the path to include /sw/bin?

Whether I am running emacs (Carbon emacs, not the one you run in a shell)
and starting python modet, the system is running a cron job, or I start a
shell whcih is not a login shell, how can I set up the system path to
include /sw/bin so I always run the python in /sw/bin rather than the one
the system comes with?

Doug