On Aug 26, 2008, at 5:09 PM, Simon Creer wrote:

> Dear All
>
> I recently contacted Mike Dyall Smith and Ben Hines with the  
> following query, and Ben Hines directed me to this list. If anyone  
> can help, I'd be most grateful.
>
>> have a new Mac Book Pro running 10.5.2.
>> I'm sorry if you must be bombarded with similar requests, but I  
>> have been
>> following the instructions on your Installing ARB for Leapord 10.5 
>> (http://www.haloarchaea.com/resources/arb/index.html 
>> ), but have
>> run into problems. I've installed Fink, updated and indexed as per
>> instructions, but when I try and install arb, I get the following  
>> message:
>>
>> W: Couldn't stat source package list file: unstable/crypto Packages
>> (/sw/var/lib/apt/lists/_sw_fink_dists_unstable_crypto_binary-darwin- 
>> i386_Packages)
>> - stat (2 No such file or directory)
>> W: Couldn't stat source package list file: local/bootstrap Packages
>> (/sw/var/lib/apt/lists/_sw_fink_dists_local_bootstrap_binary-darwin- 
>> i386_Packages)
>> - stat (2 No such file or directory)
>> W: Couldn't stat source package list file: unstable/crypto Packages
>> (/sw/var/lib/apt/lists/_sw_fink_dists_unstable_crypto_binary-darwin- 
>> i386_Packages)
>> - stat (2 No such file or directory)
>> W: Couldn't stat source package list file: local/bootstrap Packages
>> (/sw/var/lib/apt/lists/_sw_fink_dists_local_bootstrap_binary-darwin- 
>> i386_Packages)
>> - stat (2 No such file or directory)
>> fink needs help picking an alternative to satisfy a virtual  
>> dependency. The
>> candidates:
>> (1) ghostscript: Interpreter for PostScript and PDF
>> (2) ghostscript-esp: Enhanced GNU Ghostscript with better CJK and  
>> printer
>> support
>> (3) ghostscript6: Interpreter for PostScript and PDF, v6.01
>> Pick one: [1]
>>
>> When I downloaded Fink, I had to use the Fink 0.9.0 Binary Installer
>> (Intel), as earlier specified versions could not be used on the  
>> Leapord
>> 10.5.2 operating system. I've double checked the installation and the
>> updating/indexing using the Fink Commander and all seems to be  
>> present and
>> correct, with messages like "No packages need updating" and "Done"  
>> etc...
>> I'm no expert with the terminal, but assume that all is present and  
>> correct.
>> I think that the problem is that the file pathways such as unstable/ 
>> crypto
>> Packages don't exist in this download of Fink. When I look for  
>> example at
>> the "unstable" folder, it only contains folders called "crypto" and  
>> "main",
>> not one called crypto Packages.
>> I have installed a virtual Linux machine on my new Mac, but really  
>> wanted to
>> get ARB up and running so that I can take full advantage of the  
>> processing
>> power of the native OS.
>> If you were able to provide any feedback, I'd be really grateful  
>> and really
>> appreciate the guidance so far!!
>> With best wishes and thanks
>> Si Creer
> Simon Creer
> Research Fellow
> Molecular Ecology and Fisheries Genetics Laboratory
> School of Biological Sciences
> Environment Centre Wales
> Bangor University
> Gwynedd
> LL57 2UW
> Tel: +44(0)1248 382302
> Fax: +44(0)1248 382569
> web: http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~bssa0d/
> Skype: spideycreer
>
>
>

The message that you've quoted has nothing to do with your ability or  
inability to install arb, nor do they provide any diagnostic  
information.  Those are related to a need to run Source- 
 >scanpackages .  Running that will create the missing files, but they  
are just records of what you have installed on your system, not part  
of any package.

If you're using Fink Commander, look at the information for the arb  
package and see if it shows as installed or not.    If it's not  
installed, try again, and if it fails capture that output.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challenge
Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizes
Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the world
http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
_______________________________________________
Fink-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fink-users

Reply via email to