* Martin Costabel on Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 21:19:38 +0200
> Christian Ebert wrote:
>> Finally, and reluctantly, giving in to the dependency hell ;) I
>> installed fink's python25 in favor of my self build python.
>>
>> However python's readline doesn't work correctly anymore and
>> screws up display when called from scripts.
>
> Can you explain some more what is broken?

Sorry, I know this was not, errmh, precise.

It shows, of course after having done "import readline", in user
interactions, with eg. raw_input(). With readline5 an additional
line is offered, trying to move in history (with ^P or ^N or
arrow keys) garbles the display; basically it makes readline
unusable.

> Could upgrading to readline-5.2 from 5.0 solve the problems?

I have no idea. As I've written before I always linked against
fink's readline (not 5) during the python build as a workaround
as this was enough for my purposes. This was already the case
with python 2.4 when python 2.5 wasn't around.

I was astonished that the /older/ readline worked, but didn't
look into it further as the pain wasn't big enough.

The best would be to give a minimal python example; when I find
time I'll revert to the non-local untweaked fink python and see
what I can do.

> FYI, readline-4.3 and readline-5.0 (the two versions in Fink) are both 4
> years old. The last released version readline-5.2 is 2 years old; old
> enough to make it into Fink, perhaps.

As long as readline-4.3 stays around as security fallback for
building a local python ;)

\black\trash movie    _C O W B O Y_  _C A N O E_  _C O M A_

Welturaufführung -->> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/ccc.html
World première   -->> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/ccc-en.html