Thanks for the reassurance, Robert and Alexander!
It's been a long week...and now weekend.

This was a different system than the one earlier this week, which was
still using the "transitional" repository (the "why" is a long story,
suffice it to say the user is tight-fisted with his aging PowerBook,
the last model before the MBPro).

The below system is that of the "transitional" user's right-hand
researcher, also a PowerBook (another long story, predicated on SAS'
refusal to release a legitimate OS X version, and a decision-maker's
refusal to run it in a Linux VM - for now...).  Before trying to "fix"
his use of the transitional on that original PowerBook, he wanted me
to do the necessary updates of his researcher's system, to make sure
it would eventually run his Fortran code properly before investing
time in "fixing" his own system.  This current, second system was
upgraded to Tiger later in time, so it already was on the mainstream
stable repository (no "unstable" options are checked in Fink
Commander's preferences either).

So, first I did a Selfupdate - Shift+CMD+S is how my choice shows in
Fink Commander's "Source" menu (using v0.5.4, which no longer keeps
saying there's an update when there really isn't), the updating
options of which are as follows:
-----
Scanpackages
Selfupdate-rsync
Selfupdate-cvs      Shift+CMD+V
Selupdate           Shift+CMD+S
Update-all          Shift+CMD+A
-----

I assume it's doing an rsync Selfupdate?
That went fine, although it had warned of and apparently fixed
outdated repository/mirror links as well.

After that, I decided to let it grab anything it needed by
"installing" gfortran from source, which seemed to work, ignoring its
disappearance in the table and/or nonexistence, after which I did the
same to gfortran-shlibs, as described in my original email.

It took me so long to respond today, b/c I ran an Update-all after
emailing the list this morning.  Although most of the binaries were
current, it updated via source - that is where most of the outdated
differences seemed to be.  This pretty much took all day (plotutils
seemed to be the biggest bear compiling for at least a couple of hours
itself, although I previously lost who knows how much time after I
stepped away and autoconf waited for user input...grr!).

After the Update-all finished, I noticed that gfortran-shlibs was
current but gcc44 and gcc44-shlibs were absent in the list entirely
(as either current or uninstalled, or anything at all).

For fun, I then ran a Scanpackages and also a Selfupdate (which says
it was rebuilding the tables, so I assume this would be the same as
the "Update Table" item Alexander mentioned, but which I could not
find in any Fink Commander menu?).  After this, gcc44-shlibs was shown
in the list as current, but gcc44 itself was still completely absent.

I then ran "sudo apt-get update" which did its quick thing, then also
the dist-upgrade, which likewise was fast (b/c I already did the
Update-all in Fink Commander).  None of that helped get gcc44 into the
list in Fink Commander, so I quit Fink Commander and did a "fink list"
from X11 and saw the following:
-----
      gcc44            4.4.1-1000   GNU Compiler Collection Version 4.4
  i   gcc44-shlibs     4.4.1-1000   Shared libraries for gcc4
-----

So, I relaunched Fink Commander (it said it was updating the table
data again), but still nothing showed anywhere at all in its list, for
gcc44 itself.
So, I quit Fink Commander and went to X11 and had to ssh as an admin
user, but then ran "/sw/bin/fink install gcc44" and got the following
results:
-----
$ ./fink install gcc44
Password:
Information about 4817 packages read in 1 seconds.
The following package will be installed or updated:
  gcc44
Reading buildlock packages...
/sw/bin/dpkg-lockwait -i
/sw/fink/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/languages/gcc44_4.4.1-1000_darwin-powerpc.deb
Selecting previously deselected package gcc44.
(Reading database ... 73176 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking gcc44 (from .../gcc44_4.4.1-1000_darwin-powerpc.deb) ...
Setting up gcc44 (4.4.1-1000) ...
* Cpp: (cpp). The GNU C preprocessor.
* Cpplib: (cppinternals). Cpplib internals.
* gcc: (gcc).                  The GNU Compiler Collection.
* gccinstall: (gccinstall). Installing the GNU Compiler Collection.
* gccint: (gccint). Internals of the GNU Compiler Collection.
* Gcj: (gcj). Ahead-of-time compiler for the Java language
* gfortran: (gfortran). The GNU Fortran Compiler.
-----
...which went *very* quickly (whew!).
When I relaunched Fink Commander yet again, gcc44 showed as current,
right above gcc44-shlibs.
I'm assuming that the following telling little line was key:
"Selecting previously deselected package gcc44."

I'm not sure why/what with this "deselecting" note, but whatever it
was, it apparently really confused the heck out of Fink Commander.

So, yes, this was Fink Commander weirdness at play, and all is well so far.
Now, that original "transitional" user and his researcher can play
with gfortran to their heart's content.  If all goes well, then I'll
get to use the advice in your email from earlier this week...

Thanks again!
-Matt

Matthew Kozak
Systems Programmer/Administrator