Ok, I've found the problem. gnuplot is trying to send the drawing to a terminal
I don't have. When I tried the recommended command, I got:

plot2d( x^2, [x, -4, 4], [plot_format, gnuplot] );

set term wxt size 640,480 font ",12"; set term pop
         ^
"/Users/sean/maxout.gnuplot", line 1: unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type
just 'set terminal' for a list

This inspired me to try this command, and it works:

plot2d( x^2, [x, -4, 4], [gnuplot_term, "aqua"] );

When I launch gnuplot, it goes straight to the aqua terminal by default, so I
don't know what setting is causing maxima to request wxt by default.

Sean