Martin,
        Thanks for the report.  I don't have 10.8/9 to test, only 10.7.
Something looks odd in your patch, the redirection -- I would expect it to
look like:
        ${cpp} ... | sed ... > ${temp}
instead of:
        ${cpp} ... > | sed ... ${temp}
Can you confirm what you tried (guile18)?

When you tried guile, which %v-%r did you happen to try?
One or two revisions back, I fixed a segfault at the same time, but it may
have been related to the libgc (garbage collector).  Can you tell me what
version of libgc you built with?

Fang

--
David Fang