On 4/18/14, 3:23 PM, Stefan Bruda wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My workflow for tweaking Fink packages currently goes like this: wait
> for the build to fail, make changes in the build directory, obtain the
> corresponding patch, change the package description to account for
> this, re-issue the respective "fink install" command.  This if
> inefficient and annoying (especially when the change turns out to be
> incorrect).
>
> Hence my question: Is it possible to resume a build process from some
> user-defined point (say, from after fetching, unpacking, and
> patching), so that the (new) build process will use the (possibly
> modified) source already prepared in the build directory?  If so, how?
>
> I am not sure how clear my question is, so I am going to give an
> example of how would I handle a faulty package (say, ddd-3.3.12-r3) in
> Gentoo Linux:
>
>    1:  emerge ddd
>    2:  # wait for the build to fail (or interrupt it)
>    3:  # perform changes in the build directory
>    4:  ebuild /usr/portage/dev-util/ddd/ddd-3.3.12-r3.ebuild compile install
>    5:  # repeat 3 and 4 until satisfied
>    6:  # change package accordingly and re-emerge, or even install on the
> spot:
>        # ebuild /usr/portage/dev-util/ddd/ddd-3.3.12-r3.ebuild qmerge clean
>
> I chose Gentoo as an example because a Gentoo install follows the same
> pattern as Fink's, being divided into the following phases: fetch,
> unpack, compile, install (equivalent to Fink building the debs),
> qmerge (equivalent to Fink installing the resulting debs), clean (wipe
> the build directory).
>
> Could something like this be done in Fink?  Many thanks in advance.
>
> Best regards,
> Stefan

There's currently no option under the fink command to do this.

In principle, you could:

1) manually set the build environment up as Fink does, e.g. all of the
environment settings from "fink dumpinfo -fenv <packagename>" along with
any settings from the CompileScript.

2) Manually do your build, repeating as necessary after patching to
complete it.

3) Manually run the commands contained within the InstallScript of the
package.

4) Manually run what fink does to generate a .deb file.  I believe those
commands are all contained within /sw/lib/perl5/Fink/PkgVersion.pm

--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison