Hi,

>> Please download the emacs24.info and emacs24.patch files to
>> /sw/fink/dists/local/main/finkinfo and try to build and run emacs24. For
>> any one who actually understands emacs and install-info packaging, I had
>> to comment out the .info file games because I couldn't understand what
>> the point of the mangle-info script was.  Feel free to fix as needed.
>> For now it builds for me and starts up, but that's the extent of the
>> testing I can do.
>
> Downloads are at
> http://cvs.snaggledworks.com/viewvc.cgi/fink/3rdparty/main/finkinfo/editors/

Great, thank you very much for creating the new info-file! sorry that I
couldn't be of much help :(

did download from there, but had some problems with auctex. When I wanted
to downgrade to emacs23 I did fink remove; however:

% fink list emacs

  i   emacs23          23.4-2       Flexible real-time text editor
      emacs23-app      23.4-2       Flexible real-time text editor
      emacs23-nox      23.4-2       Flexible real-time text editor
      emacs24          24.3-2       Flexible real-time text editor
      emacs24-nox      24.3-2       Flexible real-time text editor

[~] % which emacs24
/sw/bin/emacs24
[~] % sf remove emacs24
dyld: DYLD_ environment variables being ignored because main executable
(/usr/bin/sudo) is setuid or setgid
Information about 10353 packages read in 1 seconds.
WARNING: emacs24 is not installed, skipping.
No packages to remove

so it seems, that
*fink lists emacs24 as not installed and hence can't remove it
*but it is still in /sw/bin

any advise?

best
sven