Ah! This makes a lot more sense now. With your explanation and the
document, it makes sense - particularly, thinking about the transient term
as a source term instead of a transient term. Thanks for sending the link;
the document is very clear and thorough.

I also saw several references to Harry Moffat's work - I know of Harry's
work through my use of Cantera, for which Harry is a primary developer. His
approach is (presumably) the same as, or similar to, what's in Cantera,
which is the tool I'm currently using to solve coverage equations for
catalysts. So making that connection was very helpful too!

Charles