Hi, Ian.

Some thoughts. Are you able to give us any more detail about your PDE? For
example, the form/meaning of the things in the source term on the right
hand side? Presumably the flux is defined by
\sigma \nabla \phi
If so, then not specifying any boundary conditions would lead to no-flux
conditions because FiPy defaults to assuming zero-gradients for field
variables on the boundary. However, you could do it explicitly with
something like
phi.faceGrad.constrain([0.], mesh.exteriorFaces)

However, the form of the source is important here because if the integral
of the source is non-zero, then there is no steady solution. If the
integral _is_ zero and the source is not a function of \phi, then the
system admits an infinite family of solutions, all shifted by a constant.
There's some discussion of this issue in the 1D diffusion example:
http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/fipy/examples/diffusion/generated/examples.diffusion.mesh1D.html#module-examples.diffusion.mesh1D
Search for "Fully implicit solutions are not without their pitfalls"

Best,
Ray