Ah, you make a good point: I was using terms incorrectly. I don't actually
know if anyone has studied that PDE with the non-linear Butler-Volmer and
show existence/uniqueness. However, it is true that without phi dependence
on the RHS, it admits infinite solutions. This is demonstrated by noting
that phi only appears as grad(phi) within the equation. Thus, the system
could only ever be determined to an additive constant (the electric _field_
is the actually relevant quantity). However, because the BV equation is
written in terms of phi directly, then there is explicit dependence not on
the field but on the actual value of the electric potential. This is done
by introducing a reference state somewhere else within the equations such
that the absolute value of phi can be given some meaning. To be honest,
I've never done simulations of the solid phase without coupling it to the
electrolyte phase, so I can't comment much more about that. The reaction
term should of course also depend on various other field variables in the
system such as the electric potential in the electrolyte, but I don't
immediately see that assuming that's a uniform constant would cause
troubles.

In terms of implementation, I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.
Specifying a flux can be done indirectly by specifying a gradient
phi.faceGrad.constrain([value], mesh.facesRight)

Ray